Wednesday, October 23, 2013

 I walked into the hospital waiting room and sat down, desperate for some good news about my best friend. As I sat there, my eyes gazed around the room. The walls were a dingy,  dusty blue color, with what had to be over 50 posters advertising vaccinations and other drugs no one has heard of,  tacked to them. There was a women and what appeared  to be her daughter sitting in the chairs across from me. We all sat in silence listening to the dull hum of all the monitors throughout the hospital.  We flinched with the sound of each alarm from the medical machines.  It felt like I had been waiting there for an eternity.  Anxiety grew within me.  My mouth was dry, it tasted like cotton balls. I moved my tongue around trying to soak up any ounce of saliva that I had. Scents of lemon sanitizer filled the air.   The citrus scent did nothing to mask the putrid smell of the room.  My stomach was queasy.   I didn't know if it was from worry or from the artificial lemon scent that hung in the air.    I could see the young girl trembling as she leaned against her mother.    A doctor entered the room and cautiously walked over to the mother and daughter.   The hushed whisper of the doctor brought relief to their faces.  Tears welled up in my eyes as I watched them leave the room.   Their warmth down my face was anything but comforting.  I sat alone in silence.  The hum from the monitors seemed to turn into growls and began to roar in my head.  My ears were aching and I thought I was going to explode.  I stood up to try to clear my  head, but immediately fell back into my seat.  My head was spinning like a merry  go round unable to stop.  Then a  young doctor peaked inside the room and motioned me to come.  The smile on her face told me that everything was going to be all right.



No comments:

Post a Comment